The criteria for consideration of candidates for membership in the Junior League of Abilene are: an interest in volunteering, a commitment to community service, and an interest in developing your potential for community participation.
Age and residency requirements for The Junior League of Abilene are:
- A candidate shall be at least 21 years of age.
- A resident candidate must be residing in the Abilene area (within a 60-mile radius from city limit to city limit) at the time that she is proposed, elected to, and accepted into provisional membership.
- A candidate shall agree to engage in community service in connection with the program of the League and must complete a specified New Member course.
The objective of the New Member Course is to transition you into active membership in nine months (July through April). During the course, you will learn about the structure of Junior League of Abilene and participate in several exciting projects that serve the children of Abilene and Taylor County. If you successfully complete the course requirements, you will be accepted into active membership in the Junior League of Abilene.
The requirements of the Transition to Active Membership (New Member Course) are:
- Receive credit for all New Member Meetings as scheduled by the New Member Chairman;
- Receive credit for all General Membership Meetings as scheduled by the President (traditionally Annual May Dinner and monthly meetings scheduled in September, October, November, January, February, March, and April).
**Dates are subject to change as designated by the President each year;
- Complete four community service hours by volunteering on any of the JLA community projects and/or PAVE projects (typically two 2-hour shifts);
- Fulfill your $100 Money Raising Obligation (MRO) by purchasing and/or selling tickets for any of the Christmas Carousel events;
- Complete service hours by assisting with the Christmas Carousel Committee prior to Christmas Carousel (mini-placements on committees determined by New Member Chairman and Carousel Chairman each year);
- Complete 9 service hours through three 3-hour work shifts during our annual fundraising event, Christmas Carousel;
- Attend a meeting of Teen Court, the Abilene City Council, the Board of the Abilene Independent School District or the Board of the Wylie Independent School District and file a report with the Provisional Chair;
- Meet with your Active Advisor at least once in the fall and once in the spring.
- Complete additional service hours as may necessary; and
- Attend at least one of the Junior League of Abilene Placement Interviews (held in the fall and spring) and request your first placement as an Active member.
Your Financial Obligations
Each year, the funds to support the various projects and administrative functions of the Junior League of Abilene are raised through dues and our annual fund-raiser, Christmas Carousel.
The following are due with the signed New Member Contract by the July 31 deadline listed on the contract.
- New Member Meeting Assessment: $50.00 (This includes your name tag, JLA volunteer t-shirt, apron, and course materials/activities)
- Annual Meeting Assessment: $42.00
- Annual Dues: $92.00 (includes AJLI membership)
Each member also is responsible for the following financial obligations:
- Money Raising Obligation $100.00 (due in the Fall from the sale and/or purchase of Christmas Carousel tickets)
- Miscellaneous $50.00+ (Optional: JLA Socials, Christmas Carousel t-shirt, The Junior League of Abilene T-shirt, aprons, etc.)
Any prospective member may coordinate payment arrangements which remain confidential. If you have concerns about meeting the financial obligations listed, please contact Jama Cadle at email@example.com.
Contact Elizabeth McAnally and Meghan Martin, Admissions Chairmen at firstname.lastname@example.org. You may also contact Jama Cadle, New Member Chairman, at email@example.com.