The criteria for consideration of candidates for membership in the Junior League of Abilene are: an interest in volunteering, a commitment to community service, and an interest in developing your potential for community participation.
Age and residency requirements for The Junior League of Abilene are:
- A candidate shall be at least 21 years of age.
- A resident candidate must be residing in the Abilene area (within a 60-mile radius from city limit to city limit) at the time that she is proposed, elected to, and accepted into Provisional membership.
- A candidate shall agree to engage in community service in connection with the program of the League and must complete a specified Provisional Member course.
The objective of the Provisional Member course is to transition you into active membership in nine months (July through April). During the course, you will learn about the structure of Junior League of Abilene and participate in several exciting projects that serve the children of Abilene and Taylor County. If you successfully complete the course requirements, you will be accepted into active membership in the Junior League of Abilene.
The requirements of the Transition to Active Membership are:
- Sign the JLA’s Member Code of Conduct;
- Receive credit for all Provisional Member Meetings as scheduled by the Provisional Chairmen;
- Receive credit for all General Membership Meetings as scheduled by the President (traditionally Annual May Dinner and monthly meetings scheduled in September, October, November, January, February, March, and April).
**Dates are subject to change as designated by the President each year;
- Complete community service hours by volunteering on any of the JLA community projects and/or PAVE projects;
- Fulfill your $100 Money Raising Obligation (MRO) by purchasing and/or selling tickets for any of the Christmas Carousel events or other approved JLA fundraising efforts;
- Complete service hours by assisting with the Provisional Class service project as determined by the Provisional Chairmen each year;
- Complete service hours through 3-hour work shifts during our annual fundraising event, Christmas Carousel;
- Attend a meeting of Teen Court, the Abilene City Council, the Board of the Abilene Independent School District or the Board of the Wylie Independent School District and submit the “Give Me Credit” form;
- Participate in the League’s placement process by completing a placement survey and participating in a placement interview with an assigned Membership Development Advisor during the Provisional’s first placement as an Active member;
- Complete additional service hours as may necessary; and
- Understand that requirements are subject to change with advance notice.
Your Financial Obligations
Each year, the funds to support the various projects and administrative functions of the Junior League of Abilene are raised through membership dues, designated donations, and our annual fundraising events such as Christmas Carousel, Reindeer Run 5K, Abilene Gives and Rhinestone Round Up.
The following are due with the signed Provisional Member Agreement by the July 1 deadline listed on the agreement.
- Provisional Member Course Assessment: $50.00 (This includes your name tag, JLA volunteer t-shirt, apron, and course materials/activities)
- Annual Meeting Assessment: $49.00 (This includes meals at General Membership Meetings)
- Annual Dues: $101.00 (This includes includes annual dues to AJLI and local JLA dues)
Each member also is responsible for the following financial obligations:
- Money Raising Obligation (MRO): $100.00 (due in the Fall from the sale and/or purchase of Christmas Carousel tickets)
- Annual Meeting: $25.00+ (traditionally held in May; however, is not included in the Meeting Assessment fee)
- Miscellaneous: $50.00+ (optional: donation drives, JLA socials, Christmas Carousel t-shirt, Junior League of Abilene t-shirt, aprons, etc.)
Any Provisional member may coordinate payment arrangements which remain confidential. If you have concerns about meeting the financial obligations listed, please contact the Provisional Chairmen.
Contact the Provisional Chairmen at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Important Provisional Year Documents
Refer to these documents for an example only – Provisional Member Agreement and Provisional Calendar. Documents for a member’s specific Provisional course will be distributed personally by the Provisional Chairmen.